Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thing 11

Technology -
well first of all...yippeee! My photos finally appeared on Flickr today! 10 days later! I was getting worried I had done something wrong or had missed a step. I have shared Flickr with others and think I may use it in the future.

Technology, I love it and I hate it and I am scared of it and I am amazed by it. I love to play the Wii with my family. What an invention! I watch the kids play and it is so amazing that this little device knows what your body is doing and it is amazing how you can check your posture using the Wii Fit. Wow!- have games come a long way since my Nintendo Duck Hunt game and Kings of the Beach (which I still have!).

It also amazes me that I can create this message on the computer, hit publish, the message flies through the air and ta-daaaaa it is on a webpage somewhere. Or sending e-mails to friends and family. So much cheaper than a stamp. It is mind-boggling. Who would have thought? I am so glad at least a couple of my Grandparents were lucky enough to experience this.

I do worry about keeping up with technology. That is why I am participating in this project. I have three young children and work with children all day - most of which probably know way more than I do about technology. But hey, I am a librarian and I have ways to find the answers I am looking for! (Nebraska 2.0) What scares me is that I am not really old and things have changed so fast. My daughter received an MP3 player for Christmas, so I am going to learn how to put music on her player. I know I can do it! :)

What I can't imagine, it doing my job without technology. To serve this number of people, with all of their checkouts, questions, etc. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like if we weren't automated! Oh My! And, how many times do we use the Internet in a day to help patrons find information as simple as a phone number, a persons date of birth, on and on.

We have a computer lab in our library that is nearly full if not full most of the day. This is an excellent service we provide. So many can't afford Internet at home or they come to library to use the lab so they can be around others. People can use databases to fix their cars, look up family, practice a test, so much information. I can't even begin to imagine what will be available to my children when they are my age.

I have a few projects I would like to learn how to do on the web, with the main one being creating DVD's like you see at weddings and graduations where they insert photos and set them to music. I'm sure to most, this sounds so basic. For me...an adventure!

1 comment:

Michael Sauers said...

If you've got some photos you'd like to set to music and turn into a video check out Animoto.