Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Thing 20

I could have spent all night playing in this Thing! There was so many fun sites to try, it was hard to decide what to do. I can't wait until I have a bit more free time to explore some of the other sites. First of all I decided to try Facebook. I realize I must be one of the few people in the world that doesn't have an account yet, well I guess I have one, but I made up a fake one so I could try a bunch of different settings and things. I found people I went to High School with and others from college. I searched for people I know from around our area and was surprised at how many I found - again, I must be about the only 30 something person in the world that isn't on Facebook. After exploring some peoples list of friends, I had a thought about a use I could have for Facebook. I think I would be handy when searching for a sitter (if one was actually going out w/o the kiddos!). The HS girls are so busy with activities, it might be an easier way to catch them. At work I could use it to contact the TAG (teen advisory group) kids - I'm sure they are all on! Overall, since my kiddos are not old enough for Facebook at this time, I won't be signing up yet. But....when they are old enough, it looks like they will have at least one friend! :) Downfalls, hmmm, I am 'old school' enough that having this info floating out there with photos and information about where you live, go to school, etc. scares me. I don't really want photos of my kids, etc. out there.

I came across a site that caught my attention: My Heritage. I had to try it. This was so exciting to explore. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of history about my family. It scares me that through the years no one has taken the time to write it down. I have hopes of starting this project sometime and this would be a very, very useful tool. I can't wait to dig in and start filling in all of the branches of our tree! I think down the line I will use this site as a project for my Homeschooling program I have once a month at the library. It will also be fun to share the site with others coming in for information about how to create a family tree. It can't get much easier than this! I don't see any downfalls about this one.

Thank you for pointing out the link to the Web 2.0 awards - again, this is something I would have never known existed had I not participated in this project. I have learned so much and have shared my findings with others - thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

No comments: