Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thing 17

Again I want to say I love the common craft segments from YouTube. They really make understanding these new subjects really easy for me. Guess I am a visual learner! After looking at the sample pages, I guess I have been on Wikis and didn't even realize it. I also had no idea how Wikipedia worked. I knew people could edit on it, just didn't know how they did it.

I noticed one of the links requested an email confirmation to post/edit. It seems like that would be a good idea if your wiki is one that is intended for a large group. It would prevent a lot of the vandalism or rude comments that may be posted. I was also interested in a post about libraries that circ games for Wii, PS2, etc. I have often thought they would sure get used if we had the space to house them. Although, if you did circ them, they probably wouldn't even be here!

I can see staff using a wiki for a lot of purposes. As the Youth Librarian I have a lot of planning to do for a variety of programming and events. What an awesome way to work with others when doing the planning (if you are lucky enough to have someone to work with). In the next few weeks, the Adult SRP organizer will meet and we usually brainstorm ideas for this year or even the next year. This would be a great way to keep track of ideas and to do lists.

I can also see using it when we are further into our remodel and renovation project. We could create a wiki for thoughts on the various collections, open day celebrations or time schedules.

No comments: