Saturday, January 3, 2009

Thing 6

I am temporarily bypassing Thing 5. It is Saturday the 3rd. I finally have a bit of time to continue working on this project. Wow - isn't life hectic! anyway, beings that it is "Christmas Vacation" I didn't think I would be able to catch any of the staff IMing today. I will take a step back this week and complete Thing 5. Hope that is OK?

I learned a bit about RSS feeds today. I had a brief intro a couple weeks ago when the IT staff came over and updated my lotus notes. It seemed pretty easy when Dave showed my how. Well... I guess I must not have paid too close of attention. Although not as easy as he made it look, it really wasn't too bad.

I chose to subscribe to two librarian related feeds (Publisher's Weekly and Library Stuff) and for fun I chose (NASCAR and Simply recipes). I think it is a great idea having the information coming to you vs. looking for the information you need. I don't spend a lot of time at work surfing (obviously) but could see how some of these feeds would be fun to get at home. I am sure my husband would LOVE the Husker feed as well as others. Like the tutorial said, why have all of the ads, etc. when you can get the story sent directly to you.

This is something I may actually use! I doubted it when I started, but think it would work. I will be deleting the 'fun' links from my feed soon after this (so I don't get into trouble at work :) but will probably resubscribe on my home computer under another email address.

1 comment:

Allana said...

You had a busy weekend making it through a number of Things!

It’s just fine that you skipped #5. If you are unable to IM with one of us during our normal work hours just let me know and I’d be glad to setup a time that will work.