No offense to anyone, but my first thoughts are "Who in the world has time for this" and "Who really cares"? My apologies to those that really enjoy Twitter.
I started by going through the Discovery Resources. Completely impressed Michael is #8 in the world of librarians! I have also liked viewing the Common Craft videos. They make the technology easy to understand for those of us 'challenged' individuals. It was quite easy to sign up for an account and begin searching Twitter.
I signed up to follow Connie Crosby, Jessamyn West and NLC News. I also viewed all of the NLC that is in charge of this project, except for Allana because she was blocked. I searched Twitter using a variety of topics I thought could be popular. Some of the things I looked up include: Kearney Nebraska, Nebraska Cornhuskers, Grey's Anatomy, and ice cream. I didn't really find as much as I thought I would on Kearney. Ice cream was kind of fun. I learned one particular woman was watching the Biggest Loser and eating a big bowl of ice cream. Sounds like we would get along well.
I can't see myself using this technology much at all - at least this point in my life. I did see some positive possibilities though. Twitter could be used to alert patrons about closings for a holiday, weather or emergency. We could also send messages to people when our server is down and the Internet is not working or when the lab is reserved for a group presentation (neither of these happen often, so it would be useful). It could be used as a reminder for events happening at the library - professional storytellers, concerts, summer reading kickoff, Friends meetings, etc.
Personally, it could be useful to me when on a vacation. We could keep family current on where we are and what we have visited, those types of things. We have also had to cancel Girl Scout meetings, practices, etc. in the past that could have been sent to parents through Twitter. It would be easier to send a text to their phone vs. trying to call everyone.
For now though, I don't really see myself using Twitter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment